Thursday, August 27, 2015

Landlines

Quote of the day: "You look exactly like my stepmom."

Wow. 

So, students are growing noticably more comfortable, and I, generally speaking, am glad for that.  Today's writing prompt asked students to reflect on a luxury that they would never want to give up.  I wrote about coffee, revealing that my two and half year old regularly requests to go to the coffee shop around the corner because he knows how obsessessed I am.  Most students chose to write about their phones.  I remarked on my longing for a return to landline culture.  How just last night I was (re)watching the season one pilot of Sex And The City and I drooled when Carrie answered her corded home phone with "Hello!  This is Carrie."  And Charlotte replied, "Hi Carrie!  It's Charlotte!"  I mean, really, that never happens anymore!

As you can see, a simple writing prompt can quickly transform the room.  This early in the year, it is a pleasure to get students talking, sharing obsessions and recommendations.  Later, the real task becomes getting students to shift gears and focus on the day's activities and learning targets.  But, for now, I view the random conversations and anecdotes as essential ingredients for building a caring and enthusiastic class community.

No comments:

Post a Comment